Monday, April 19, 2010

Paper Art and Quilting

During this project I have been very inspired by the art of quilting and paper cutting, I find that there is a traditional quality to them which would also work well with my project. I love that each method demands a significant amount of time on details which often go unnoticed, but are crucial to the end result.

the history of quilting is especially interesting, from the quilts exhibition at th Victoria and Albert i learnt that quilts often tell stories, or give clues about the quilters life- for example, some women used love letters for the backing paper in quilting squares. Quilting of course, like all art forms has really developed, as you can see from the image below:




‘At the End of the Day’, hanging, Natasha Kerr, 2007. Museum no. T.43-2008

Out of all the paper artists whose work i have looked into, Rob ryans has been most influential to me. It has a very strong story telling element to it, and as this is what I aim to do in my project, I am very intrigued by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment